Can an innovation be persuasive – or is persuasion something you simply layer on with marketing communications?
At Brand Genetics, we believe innovations should be intrinsically persuasive – and that the way to do this is to start with the 6 universal principles of persuasion and use these insights as persuasive innovation territories to explore.
So here’s (above) a brilliant summary video of Dr Robert Cialdini’s “influence: The Science of Persuasion” that outlines the 6 principles of persuasion. How could your next innovation profit from built-in persuasion using these principles?
- Scarcity: People are persuaded by special limited-edition innovations
- Consistency: People are persuaded by innovations that are consistent with their values and lifestyles
- Reciprocity: People are persuaded by innovations that help them pay back social debts
- Liking: People are persuaded by innovations developed by people they like and admire
- Social Proof: People are persuaded by innovations from market leaders
- Authority: People are persuaded by innovations developed by experts