New York | Brand Genetics North America
Brand Genetics is a dynamic brand growth consultancy, specializing in front-end insight, strategy and innovation. We work globally, partnering with some of the world’s most iconic brands to help diagnose and solve brand challenges – including ABInBev, Estée Lauder, Diageo, Mondelez, PepsiCo, Reckitt Benckiser, Heinz and Unilever. We believe that only when you understand why people do what they do, can you hope to influence behavior – so we apply empathy-led techniques and evidence-based behavioral science to reveal the deeper ‘whys’ behind consumer (human!) behavior and unlock brand growth.
We are recruiting a Senior Consultant to join our diverse and growing New York based team. The Senior Consultant role is a keystone role at Brand Genetics, offering a high degree of freedom and autonomy, and integral involvement in managing, executing and delivering insight, innovation and strategy projects. Read on for more information and then click the link at the bottom to begin the application process.
Taking on this role in the North American office, you will have the opportunity to help build, shape and expand the new office and company culture – helping develop innovative methodologies for uncovering deeper human truths and strategic problem-solving. You will work closely alongside the Head of North America and the founding team, with the added support of a 25+-year old established UK business.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing business making its mark with clients around the world – working as part of a diverse, smart and highly motivated global team to challenge the status quo and deliver excellence.
We are looking for a self-motivated, agile thinker looking to stretch themselves in an innovative and entrepreneurial environment. As the driver of internal project processes and timelines, you will contribute to the development and delivery of large brand strategy, insight and innovation projects, as well as lead smaller projects – working collaboratively with the internal team. A typical day / week may include:
PROJECT DELIVERY AND CLIENT RELATIONSHIPS (c. 80% of your time)
- Day-to-day project and client management – taking responsibility for planning the overall shape of projects, project logistics and project communications (internally and with clients)
- Planning and executing the research process – across fieldwork, analysis and reporting, driving initial delivery of project work, e.g. screeners and discussion guides, conducting and attending fieldwork, analyzing research
- Leading and contributing to key client-facing content – including insight generation, content and design of presentations, workshop design and facilitation, debriefs, blogs, podcasts etc in collaboration with the team
- Delivering project outputs in an impactful and engaging way – verbally and visually presenting finds along with thoughtful and actionable strategic recommendations to seamlessly set clients up for future success
NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT (c. 20%)
- Building strong client relationships, both on and beyond immediate projects – consistently delivering delight through excellent project management, deep understanding of the consumer perspective and sharp strategic thinking
- Support and develop new business materials – this would include contributing to proposal development (brainstorms, desk research, gathering costings and liaising with partners), think pieces and case studies
- Help generate marketing content – Our consultants regularly create blog pieces, post on LinkedIn, help plan for in-person or virtual events
- Support senior team in BG new product development (eg. new offers & tools)
- Stay up to date with trends and innovations to help BG stay informed and identify new opportunities
BG is an entrepreneurial business with a flat structure: we believe everyone has a role in helping to develop the business at both an intellectual and a practical level.
Desired Qualities & Experience
As part of the Brand Genetics North America team, you will contribute in tangible, meaningful ways from day one. This role is ideal for consultants who embrace a start-up mentality, valuing agility, autonomy, diversity of perspectives and a constant and curious quest for the new. Our cheesy but true shorthand for the BG DNA is smart, heart and a lot of self-start. Successful candidates are likely to be:
- Passionate about brands and have strong foundational skills in research, brand strategy or innovation, ideally with c. 2-4 years experience (previous agency / consultancy experience is highly desirable)
- Experienced in / passionate about in psychology, neuroscience and/or behavioral science – whether through education, work experience or personal passion and curiosity
- Creative, curious and analytical – able to combine clear thinking with creative flair to help unlock new insights and opportunities
- A team player – excellent at communicating and building strong, positive, effective relationships, as well as willing to roll up your sleeves and get involved
- Established self-awareness – demonstrating understanding of your own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power, privilege and stereotypes
- Self-motivated, ambitious and hungry to learn – with an ability to get things done and a desire to make a real impact as the company continues to grow
- Comfortable with the uncomfortable – embracing a growth mindset, learning and developing new skills and stretching yourself to achieve your full potential
- Strong and engaging storyteller – demonstrating excellence in the creation of decks / visuals that communicate data / insight in a compelling way (powerpoint, keynote and/or google slides)
Added extras & ‘nice to haves’:
- Marketing and business development experience and/or interest a plus 😀
- Team management experience – coaching and upskilling junior team
- Writing / blogging experience – demonstrating strong writing ability (in English) through published / self-published work
- Graphic Design / Photoshop skills – an eye for creative strategy and design
- Quantitative research / data analytics skills – experience with translating big data into strategic recommendations; quantitative methodolgies
- Languages – fluency in languages other than English is a plus but not necessary
- Legally authorized to work in the US
- Dynamic and challenging environment – getting up close and personal with some of the world’s biggest brands, working with an experienced global team, senior clients, and the ability to tangibly impact a growing office
- Competitive Salary and benefits – in line with experience, and including medical, dental & vision insurance and 401(k)
- Annual Bonus – when able, we look to pay a year-end bonus (at Christmas) reflecting both overall company performance and personal contribution
- Vacation – 25 PTO days in addition to US public holidays
- Training budget – a $1000 personal training budget to help you achieve your personal career goals, in addition to internal company training
- Company laptop – to be provided
- Flexible Working Policy – with regards to hours and location. We provide access to our dynamic co-working space in FiDi, with the expectation that you will work in the office a minimum of 2 days/week (of your choosing)
- Opportunity for travel – whether for fieldwork or to spend time in our other offices (dependent on project needs)
- Team socials – alongside the work, we believe having fun should be part of the deal too! We’re a close-knit global team, which means having regular socials (non-compulsory) and buddy lunches with a fun, vibrant team
MORE ABOUT BRAND GENETICS
Brand Genetics is headquartered in central London, with offices in Rio and New York and plans for further global expansion.
Our insight-led and evidence-based understanding and application of what makes people happy – their core needs, wants, desires, and drivers – enables us to understand what people what makes people tick, what they want next and identify scalable opportunities for growth.
Brand Genetics has a unique and collaborative culture, encouraging our exciting and diverse team “to be uniquely human” by celebrating and developing their specific strengths and talents.
We are committed to creating an inclusive space where employees are valued for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives – and are empowered to progress through clear development structure and support. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
Begin your Application
Click this link and fill in the form to begin the process. Good luck!